Thursday, October 30, 2008

Church + Politics = Bad News.

It's true. While the church maintains a certain set of "accepted truths" - that God created the world, that Jesus came and died for our sins and rose again on the third day - there are still many things that divide us. Baptism. To dance or not to dance? Hymns versus "contemporary" music. A laundry list of things that, while they make us different, don't really have much to do with our basic beliefs.

And along come things like ... *insert scary music here* Proposition 8. (If you are in California.) This is my take on it. And you can scream at me or disagree all you like (but I'll still like you!)

I'm going to vote YES on Prop 8. I have lots of different reasons for it. God created man and woman and told them to "go forth and multiply." They were the example for marriage. Later on in the Old Testament, God actually destroyed two entire cities because TEN righteous men could not be found within their walls. God doesn't HATE homosexuals. People seem to forget that there is a difference between the sinner, and the sin. God HATES the sin, but LOVES the sinner. Homosexuality isn't any different than anything else - and if you look at the other sins listed in the Ten Commandments - murder, theft, adultery - we have laws against them too. Even some of the "minor" ones - ones that would be hard to make laws against, such as coveting what someone else has or being rude (not honoring) to father and mother - are looked down upon.

So clearly, we can't just follow SOME of what God wants. God wants everything. Revelation 3.15-16 states, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." We don't get to pick and choose which parts of God's law we like, and what we don't. Christianity doesn't work that way, folks. CHRISTIANTY IS NOT A BUFFET - You don't get to pick and choose which parts of God's law you want to obey and ignore the parts you don't like.

There are other reasons beyond the religious for voting YES on Prop 8. Many who support the NO vote on Prop 8 whine about "rights" being taken away. But getting married isn't a right. It's a privilege. We already limit who can and cannot get married. I read a great article recently on the "secular argument against gay marriage." In it, the author basically stated that we allow opposite-sex couples get married who can safely procreate and contribute to society. Some couples aren't allowed to marry, such as first cousins (and closer relatives). It is also illegal in all states to marry or pass off more than one person as one's spouse. This was all brought up in the article to show how heavily regulated marriage is in different states. I'm not going to re-write the entire article, but it shows how marriage is a numbers game, and those who are married receive certain financial allowances that those who aren't married don't receive. (Here, you're obviously old enough to read - enjoy. :) The Secular Case Against Gay Marriage

I do have another, more basic reason for voting YES on Prop 8. 8 years ago, 61% of voting Californians (approx. 4 million people) said that marriage should be limited to one man and one woman. Four judges (based in San Fran, of all places) decided we weren't smart enough to make such a decision, and overturned our choice. Why should they choose for us, when we had already chosen? Why do we have to go through this again? You realize, of course, that if Prop 8 doesn't pass, then every time judges "don't like" one of our voted choices (on anything) they'll feel they have the legal precedent to just overturn our choice. Because they've ALREADY DONE IT! I realize other states are voting on this issue this year as well, and may not have gone through this before. But we have! Why should we have to do it again?

And I just have to say ... one more thing I'm TOTALLY sick of: People who try to say that inter-racial marriage and gay marriage are somehow equivalent!!! Oh my gosh. I suppose it has to do with what you believe, but for me, people don't CHOOSE to be born Caucasian, or Chinese, or German. So one can't be discriminated against based on one's genes. Being gay isn't in a person's genes. Why would God create people like that? (I fully understand that people will want to be angry over my opinion, but don't let me stand in the way of you believing what you want to believe.)

This is why Christians shouldn't get into politics. Not that we shouldn't vote - I think we SHOULD vote, I think it is morally responsible to vote, and I think if Jesus were here today, He'd be voting too. (I just don't know who He'd vote FOR!) I just think that we shouldn't let politics divide us. I have tried to keep my mouth shut when I hear people talking about various issues, or politicians, or propositions, because I don't want our political beliefs to divide who we are as children of God. That said ... I care deeply about voting, I am glad I get the opportunity to vote, and I will be at the polls on Tuesday. And you should be too!

Sheesh. Silly people. Stop bickering over politics, and blog your feelings out instead.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Melissa -- you go girl!

    I had this very same discussion with a childhood friend just yesterday and btw some of the exact same reasons! There were other thoughts I used too, but I won't go into that. Unfortunately my friend is not a believer. :( We have known one another for 47 years! Yes that is correct, 47 years...we met back in 1st grade. We went to a religious school together. She went all 12 years, me 10 of the 12. Interesting how she does not believe there is a God. I only found this out about 5-6 years ago. Sad really. Anyway -- a lot of my comments fell on deaf ears because her lack of belief. Fortunately it has not hurt our relationship and I pray it never will.

    Your post is great and I appreciate it. I may even take the time to read your link about a secular view.

    Keep it up girl!
    LouAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post says:
    "TEN righteous men could be found"

    shouldn't it be "ten righteous men could NOT be found"?

    LouAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, sheesh. I went through and read it again, and noticed it. Heh. I fixed it, don't worry!

    ReplyDelete